9130 South Dadeland Boulevard Datran Two - Suite 2000 Miami FL 33156
Practice Areas :
- Professional Liability Defense
- Defense of Bar Grievances
- Commercial Litigation
- Defamation and other Speech-related causes of action
- Appellate Practice
- Texas Bar, 2006 (inactive).
- Florida Bar, 2008.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 2009.
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, 2010.
- American Bar Association Lawyer Professional Liability section.
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers.
- B.A. English Literature, minor: Russian Language, University of Tennessee, 2001.
- J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law, 2006.
- Dean’s Achievement Award, Mass Media Law, Spring 2004.
- Company Honor Graduate, USMC School of Infantry, 1999.
- July 2014 – Miami Lakes Bar Association: Legal Malpractice and Ethical Issues (with Alex Diaz).
- October 2015 – Florida Defense Lawyer’s Association Advanced Litigation Boot Camp: “Staying out of Trouble: Practical Attorney Guidance for Avoiding Civil and Ethical Exposure.” (with Alex Diaz).
- November 2015 – University of Miami Professional Responsibility & Ethics Program (PREP) clinic with Professor Jan Jacobowitz: Discussion on the relationship between ethical rules and civil liability (with Andrew Feldman).
- December 2015 — Dade County Bar Association, Young Lawyer Section: “Staying out of Trouble: Practical Attorney Guidance for Avoiding Civil and Ethical Exposure.” (with Alex Diaz).
- October 2016 – Orlando, FL – FDLA Advanced Litigation Boot Camp: “Retiring with Your Law License” (with Alex Diaz).
- December 2016 – Miami, FL – GILSBAR Ahead of the Curve series: Ethics of Technological Competency (with Rob Klein).
- May 2017 – New York, NY – Navigating the Tropics of Bad Faith (with Rob Klein).
- August 2017 – Miami, FL – University of Miami PREP clinic: Ethical vs. Civil liability (with Florida Bar staff counsel Jennifer Falcone).
- August 2017 – Ft. Lauderdale, FL – GILSBAR Ahead of the Curve series: Ethics and Civil Exposure for Outsourced Legal Work (with Rob Klein).
- September 2017 – River Ranch, FL – – Florida Defense Lawyers’ Annual Meeting: Misadventures in Malpractice (with Alex Diaz).
- October 2017 – Miami, FL – GILSBAR Ahead of the Curve series: Outsourcing, and File Maintenance and Retention (with Alex Diaz).
- Summer 2016: Ethics and Cyber Security Issues (Summer/Vol. 1 No. 4 2016 ABA Committee on Ethics and Professionalism, Young Lawyer’s Division Newsletter)(with Andrew Feldman)
- August 2017: Collect with Caution: Avoiding the Traps of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (For CNA/Continental Casualty Company)(with Richard Jones)
- Summer 2017: Legal Malpractice Claims-Advanced Strategies for Case-Within-A-Case Litigation, 43 Ohio N.U.L. Rev. 331, 332 (2017) (with Rob Klein and Andrew Feldman)
Noteworthy cases :
- Judge Rules Against Transvestite “Howard Stern” Guest; Daily Business Review July 26, 2012.
- Hotel not liable for injury to guest trying to fix toilet; Daily Business Review August 30, 2012.
Reported decisions :
- Newman v. Ormond, 456 Fed. Appx. 866 (11th Cir. 2012).
- Newman v. Ormond, 396 Fed. Appx. 636 (11th Cir. 2010)Newman v. Ormond, 396 Fed. Appx. 636 (11th Cir. 2010).
- Watson v. Stewart Tilghman Fox & Bianchi, P.A., 4D14-957, 2015 WL 6738760 (Fla. 4th DCA 2015).
Since 2009 Mark Sullivan’s practice has been devoted primarily to the defense of lawyers at all levels of state and federal courts, and administrative proceedings. Those representations have included professional negligence and breach of fiduciary suits, defamation claims, bar grievances, and representations regarding fee disputes, disqualification attempts, and significant sanctions.
Mark’s work for attorneys is not limited to litigation, but also includes prospectively advising attorney clients on ethical issues and general risk mitigation, such as emerging trends in lawyer liability like e-discovery and cyber-liability.
Mark routinely lectures and writes on topics related to lawyer’s liability, and was the primary organizer for both years of the Florida Lawyers’ Professional Liability Seminar, a joint effort between University of Miami and Florida firms practicing heavily in the area of lawyer liability.
Mark earned his Juris Doctor, with honors, from the University of Texas School of Law, and his B.A. in English Literature with minor in Russian Language from the University of Tennessee. While in law school he was an associate editor and notes editor for The Review of Litigation, and was awarded the Dean’s Achievement Award in Mass Media Law.
Mark was also deployed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba from February to December of 2002 while a reservist in the United States Marine Corps, and previously distinguished himself by graduating first in his class of approximately 200 Marines at the Marine Corps School of Infantry in 1999.